Re: [nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Host added with loadhosts command placed in arpanet
From: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:27:37 +0100
For the perplexed, here's what I think has happened.

- I added these servers with loadhosts because they are not being detected
using ICMP
- Originally I did not specify the -m subnetmask value as the reference for
loadhosts says that if a subnet mask is not specified to loadhosts,
loadhosts uses the IP class of the device to work out what network to put
it in.
- loadhosts assumed a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
- As a result, the servers ended up in the 10 arpanet network
- The servers have a true subnet mask of 255.255.240.0
- I removed the servers from the db and added them again with loadhosts -p
-m 255.255.240.0 <inputfile
- They are added to the correct subnet and managed by the MLM

Good so far.

Now the downside.
- Because snmp is not accessible (don't know community name) they stay as
green boxes
- snmpwalk -c public.... works so added public for that address to
ovsnmp.conf
- Tried demand poll - returns nothing. Icons stay blank
- Tried nslookup nodename - returns IP address
 -Tried nslookup IP address - returns Non-existant node (aha - no reverse
lookup) seems to be the case for most servers!!!

Jane, do I need to ovstop netmon before issuing "netmon -a 12". I tried the
command, but see nothing special in netmon.trace.

To be continued no doubt.
John

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.