Re: [nv-l] SNMP Status Checking traps

Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Status Checking traps
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:07:21 +0100
Brian,
If you do status polls via SNMP, the only thing that changes is that you send
SNMP requests and check the operStatus against the adminStatus for interfaces
and if a node is supposed to be up (adminStatus) but isn't, then you get an
interface down trap raised by netmon, just the same as if he was using to ping
to check status.  Your status polls use the same parameter in xnmsnmpconf for
the status polling interval, regardless whether you use ping or snmp - default
is 5 mins. So, 5 mins later, the same process should be repeated;  if the
interface has come back up you get the usual interface up event.  You can check
entries on the ping list with "netmon -a 12" and on the SNMP poll list via
"netmon -a 16" - look in /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace for output.

Unreachable devices are a slightly different concept and involve the Router
Fault Isolation (RFI) code within netmon, and is portrayed by the white colour
on your maps.  You will get a white network if all interfaces on routers that
provide access to that network, are down.

Do you know that you can use the "event" command for testing, rather than
actually taking devices down?  "event -l" lists the NetView events you can
generate. "event -e IDWN_EV -h fred" would generate an interface down
purporting to come from the node called fred.  This won't help you test your
status polls, but if you want to test trap customisation of NetView events,
it's very handy.

Cheers,
Jane