Re: [nv-l] Netview on Windows - reply

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview on Windows - reply
From: "Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:21:13 -0400

>> Maybe I am just biased having worked with the Unix version for so long,
but I would still advocate NetView on Unix unless an environment has NO
Unix skills.

Well, sometimes one finds oneself in exactly that situation.      We had
run netview on aix since the days of netview 6000 and sanjiv ahuja.
But... a  year or so back I looked at our dwindling aix skills and became
convinced that I ran the very real  risk of having and unsupportable
environment rather soon.   No sysadmin support, lack of spare machines.

I looked at the windows idea:   lots of sysadmin skills in my dept.  spare
machines.   automation skills. .......   it was the right direction.
We started the conversion in 4/2001.  completed in 9/2001.  very very
painful.   lots of crashes.

A few things in our favor:  we had VERY strong wondows skills.  and the
ability to augment netview where we needed to (example: we wrote our own
layer 2 discovery for inventory, topology, and traffic purposes).  Also,
ours is not a huge network (1500 interfaces monitored).

If I had it to do over, I would make the same decision.   Netview on
windows is running solid these days.   and though I wish there was a
ruleset editor also, I handle that instead on the TEC side (which  we run
TEC on windows also.... heh ).

btw - Also, I seem to be running aprisma spectrum also these days...
interesting side by side comparisons.

my 2 cents

Don Mahler
SAIC