[nv-l] trapd.conf setup and ruleset configuration

To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] trapd.conf setup and ruleset configuration
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:09:23 -0500
Hello Everyone,

NetView 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3

This may be a dumb question but I cannot determine what I am doing wrong or
what I am forgetting.

I manually created a new Enterprise in xnmtrap and then created 4 traps,
specific 1 through specific 4. In each of the traps I place some text in
"Event Log Message" field. For example, specific trap 1  contains "XYZ
service is down" specific trap 3 contains "XYZ service is up". I don't
include any other information in the "Event Log Message" field, such as
arguments or $E, $G etc. The traps appear in the event viewer and I can get
paging to work with the Ruleset.

I'm trying to simplify the Ruleset so that I do not need to enter the text
to be included in the page. How do I pass the "Event Log message" text from
trapd.conf into the Ruleset action node for paging? What is the NetView
environment variable? I have tried $NVATTR_1 through 8.

Thanks.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car