Re: [nv-l] vendor/snmp agent strings

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] vendor/snmp agent strings
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:11:29 -0400
They don't come from the device. They come from Netview, based on the
SNMP sysObject ID reported by the device. On NT, Netview will put these
unknown devices in a special smartset (BadOIDS) and in the Object Info,
it will replace that sysObjectID with a bogus one (to enable smartset
membership).
There is an option in netmon configuration to log these things, however,
and
that log will collect the real SNMP sysObjectID and the sysDescription to
help you out.  Or see it by uisng the mib appl that pulls system info
realtime.Take
that information and do this:
1) Update \usr\OV\fields\C\ovw_fields and add the vendor if necessary
2) Update \usr\OV\fields\C\snmp_fields and add the agent if necessary
3) Run the command ovw_fields to let Netview know they have been changed.
4) Now update the oid_to_type file being very careful to match exactly the
    vendor and agent strings you defined. It goes oid:vendor:agent:flags
5) Update the oid_to_sym file for things that need special symbols. If you
     used the G or B or H flag in oid_to_type, default symbols will be
used;
     if you want something different, or if it is not a G,B,H device,
update oid_to_sym.
    Be careful here as well. Use the Help..Legend to see what symbols are
in
    what classes. Specify the class and the symbol. These classes equate to
    files in \usr\OV\symbols\C, and the symbol must be defined in the file
named
    for the class. Also remember that certain symbols carry properties with
them,
    so don't get too imaginative.
6) Delete and rediscover the devices. Otherwise the fields will never be
updated
    athough the symbols may be.

Detroit

                      "Karl Prinelle"

                      <Karl.Prinelle@ely        To:
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      zium.co.uk>               cc:

                                                Subject:  [nv-l] vendor/snmp
agent strings
                      09/02/2002 09:31

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Karl.Prinelle

Hi list,

Environment: w2k sp2, netview 7.1.2

I'm sure this is quite a simple one, but I'm trying to add some new
devices.  I've loaded the appropriate mib's and now want to update the
oid_to_type/sym files, owv_fields, snmp_fields files to finish the job off.

The problem I've got is that I don't seem to be able to find the "vendor"
or "SNMP Agent" strings that the device is reporting so I can put it in
these files.  I'm assuming these strings come from the device itself &
aren't arbitrary - of course I could be wrong there!

Also, could someone tell me where the searchable archive is right now.

thanks

Karl

Karl Prinelle
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Elyzium Ltd
Enterprise Systems Management Consultants
Mobile: +44 (0)7813 189198
Email: Karl.Prinelle@elyzium.co.uk
http://www.elyzium.co.uk

Elyzium Disclaimer:

This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information, or
take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of any organisation or employer. If you have received
this message in error, do not open any attachment but please notify the
sender (above) deleting this message from your system. Please rely on your
own virus check no responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage
rising out of any bug or virus infection.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>