Re: [nv-l] a question about backup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] a question about backup
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:28:52 -0400
I am not certain I understand.  There is no script to copy what was saved
back to where it came from.  I am not certain why would want that in nay
case.

Making the backup copies is a snapshot process.  It doesn't remove the old
/usr/OV/ directories.  If you did that yourself, then you have to
re-install, because the backup only keeps user-configured files.  It does
not keep current libraries or binaries.  It is the install process which
reads the backup directories and merges what is there with the current
product you are installing.

If you have taken a snapshot and have subsequently modified the
user-configured files, then you can just take another and overwrite the
originals.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Dejan Mijailovic" <dejan.mijailovic@inquent.com>
09/26/2002 04:07 PM