Re: [nv-l] Physical Address?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Physical Address?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:28:48 -0400
Netview on AIX can only deal with DHCP addresses if you also
have dynamic DNS. At least that was the last I heard on the subject.
If it discovers a new address that resolves to a name that it already
has in the database, and if the address it had for that name no
longer resolves to that address, it assumes DHCP, deletes the
old interface, and replaces it with the new interface. If you are not
resolving DHCP addresses, then it handles it like any other non
snmp node. That is, the old one will turn red and the new one will
appear, and they will continue to build up until the node-down-delete
processing gets rid of the old ones. This is why many sites just
exclude DHCP address ranges from discovery. My philosphy
is that if a node is not expected to be up all of the time, then it
does not belong in the map anyway.

On NT, there is a directive for the seedfile that identifes DHCP
address ranges, allowing for better handling of these nodes.

On AIX, you might get a 'Different link' event when an old
address is reused on a new node. Netview will think it is
the same node returned to life but will often notice the mac
even without snmp.

Detroit

                      "Bursik, Scott

                      {PBSG}"                  To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      <Scott.Bursik@pbs        cc:

                      g.com>                   Subject:  [nv-l] Physical
Address?

                      10/03/2002 09:52

                      AM

NetView 7.1.2    AIX 4.3.3

Could someone tell me what role the Physical Address plays in how NetView
handles nodes?  Here is my question:

NetView discovers a NON-SNMP node who is DHCP.  The lease time is short and
the next day when the machine logs back on, it gets a new address.  The
node down delete interval is set to 10 days.  Do I now have 2 objects in
the NetView database, one being up and the other being down, or is NetView
"smart" enough to recognize by the Physical Address that this is the same
node and delete the old object?

We are trying to use NetView to help tell us where our Tivoli Endpoints
might be lacking on nodes by using a merge process the checks the NetView
database against the Endpoint database by IP address and I am trying to
iron out the anomalies. Has anyone else tried anything similar to this?

Thank you,

Scott Bursik

Event Systems Management

Pepsico Business Solutions Group