RE: [nv-l] Cursed Cisco Trap Formats

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Cursed Cisco Trap Formats
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:14:55 -0500
Scott,

What you are asking for in "automation" is complicated but doable.    It
sounds like you may have multiple routers of the same type, and thus of the
same OID that send traps with different formats.  With that happening you
would have to setup trap configurations not only by Enterprise, but also by
host.   This way you can have traps coming from a single Enterprise be
formated based on the host it came from.   You can do this by GUI or by
using the addtrap command.   Either one will take a list of hostnames that
the configuration will be used for.

Can you automate this?   With a lot of scripting that is beyond my time at
the moment, yes.    The script would have to be "tailing" the log to see
when it happens and take action based on that....   I have done some
similar things for customers when I was in Services.    You can do this
yourself or contact a NetView services person to help you if you truly need
automation to get a handle on this.

Good luck.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-9326

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com