RE: [nv-l] Cursed Cisco Trap Formats

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Cursed Cisco Trap Formats
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:07:52 -0500
Todd, those variables would not be blank, they would be the additional 3
variables that James has been mentioning. Without knowing the total - which now
appears possible, you can't tell what the data is in the trap. Like I said if
the data is moving from field to field depending on the trap forrmat, I don't
see how in code you could differentiate the type of data in the field. I
considered your approach (in fact it was the only possible approach) but I
could not get around not know what kind of data was in the variable - was it an
ifType or ifIndex etc. When I know the total number of variables, I can pick
the variables out based on which format they are. I know that if there are 5
variables then the second one is ifType and the third one is ifReason etc.

Thanks everyone - valuable input, I will be able to solve this.