RES: [nv-l] Spectrum Vs. NetView

To: IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RES: [nv-l] Spectrum Vs. NetView
From: Marcos Antonio Pezzutti Filho <pezzutti@banespa.com.br>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:41:07 -0300
Hi, Scott

Your question is very interesting in a Netview list !!
In a simple manner, Spectrum is a tool with many functions ready out-of-the-box. I would say that if you don´t have necessity of customization this is the tool. It allows hierarchicle structrure with many servers. The only negative point, in my opinion, is the proprietary database. Some years ago there was a integration between it and T/EC, now you will have to ask. Spectrum has the Event Manager, something that is light-years ahead ControlDesk, but Netview has RuleSets that allows you to treat all kind of snmp traps and automatize some rotines. Netview can be managed by scripts, Spectrum no.
I think Spectrum has a weak integration with anothers management tools and the web interface was provided by third part software.
Actually, I don´t know how it´s comercialized. I think it´s good to contact the vendors and ask them.

I hope this information was usefull.