Re: [nv-l] Réf : RES: [nv-l] Router discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Réf : RES: [nv-l] Router discovery
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:42:23 -0500
That is the great thing about /etc/hosts: the reverse is
automatic. If you lookup a name, the address of the
first entry is used. If you lookup an address, the only
entry is used. That is why, in Marcos' example, he
puts the loopback first. When Netview finds any
address, it will make a node with that name, and
when you use any function that looks up an address
for that name, it will find and use the loopback address.

Ciscoworks is a little different. It will try to resolve the
sysname of the device, and if it finds an address for
that, it will use it as the primary address for the device.
Netview uses whatever address it discovers first, and
tries to resolve it to make the name and label. If it later
sends an snmp query and the response comes from
a different address, it will change the primary address
to that one, but that does not happen too much under
normal circumstances.

Detroit

                      bducharme@avdl.co
                      m                        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                               cc:
                      11/13/2002 03:28         Subject:  [nv-l] Réf : RES:
[nv-l] Router discovery
                      PM

Hi,

In the case of this server we are not using a dns.
I am using only a host file.
Sorry for the silly question:
I am not really used to work with a DNS in the Unix world, but in my case
since i don't have one is there a way to use a reverse with a host file ?

Ben

Hi Ben,

You have to make sure with some items:

1)Do you get resolve all Ip address with DNS? (eg. Loopback IP address in
direct resolution file - named.data, and all  others Ips on the reverse
file
- named.rev);

Line in named.data file:
ROUTER_A       9999999 IN      A       180.188.229.149 (loopback address)

Lines in named.rev file:
149.229.188.180     IN      PTR     ROUTER_A. (Loopback address)
149.227.188.192     IN      PTR     ROUTER_A.
149.225.188.172     IN      PTR     ROUTER_A.

With this procedure you certify that Netview will be able to know all the
interfaces.

2)Certify that the name in DNS is the same of cdpname (if cisco routers) or
sysname (if others routers).

Answering you question about changing name or IP:
You can change the name and the IP since you change in DNS first. If you
want to change only an IP address, you can change this IP in DNS files and
after that execute a demand poll, Netview will do the changing in its base.