Re: [nv-l] xnmcollect problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] xnmcollect problem
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:02:50 +1100
Greg

The CISCO-PROCESS-MIB defines cpmCPUTotal5min with a SYNTAX of Gauge(1..100)
A quick look at IETF MIBs suggest that they leave a blank space after Gauge
before the restriction on values (1..100), whereas this Cisco MIB does not.
Without staying up till midnight studying the BNF in the RFCs I cannot say
whether the Cisco construct is legal or not.

My guess is that the MIB browser is being more tolerant than the data
collector.
The data collector is treating this as a data type Gauge(1..100)  - all one
word - comparing it with the list of data types it supports for collection,
such as Counter, Gauge,... not finding a match and showing it a red card.

I tried inserting a space between Gauge and (1..100) and the data collector
will then (and then only) enable the OK and APPLY buttons.

I would:
- unload the CISCO-PROCESS-MIB
- copy the cisco-process-v1smi.mib file and give it a new name e.g. stick
"Myversion" on the front. You should find it in /usr/OV/snmp_mibs
- edit this version with a text editor to insert the blank space
- load this new version

Then try the data collector again.
If this advice is all wrong you can reverse the steps.

BTW, the MIB says this object is deprecated and replaced by
cpmCPUTotal5minRev, also present in the same MIB file. The old object did
not allow for CPU usage of 0%. The new object makes the range restriction
(0..100).

At 08:22 AM 1/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
> I have nv6k ver.7.1.2 running on AIX 4.3.3 and am seeing the following
>when trying to add  a data collection entry for the following:
>
>The mib object is:
>.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoProcessMIB.c
iscoProcessMIBObjects.cpmCPU.cpmCPUTotalTable.cpmCPUTotalEntry.cpmCPUTotal5min