Re: [nv-l] inconsistent hostnames dilemma

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] inconsistent hostnames dilemma
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:48:56 -0500
The reason to update the seedfile is for neatness, and for rediscovery
purposes. As far as deleting and rediscovering the nodes, it should not be
necessary at 7.1.1 if you think it will be too disruptive. I would try
this:
1) update name resolution
2) if there are specific entries in the SNMP configuration by name, delete
them.
3) stop netmon and ovtopofix.
4) xnmsnmpconf -clearC
5) close and open the map, restarting netmon
During the config poll at startup, most selection names and labels
should be updated automatically. Demandpoll those that don't get
updated. They an be found with nvUtil l <smartset>. Especially do
the demandpoll on any nodes you deleted from SNMP configuration.

Earlier versions did not update the selection name of the interfaces
when nodenames were updated. Now that is done automatically.

This is based on AIX experience only.

Detroit

                      Jane Curry

                      <jane.curry@skills        To:       Robin James
                      -1st.co.uk>                <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>

                                                cc:

                      11/08/2002 04:58          Subject:  Re: [nv-l]
inconsistent hostnames dilemma
                      AM

Thanks for this reminder, Robin.  I have just retested the scenario I
described
with my brick system, including the xnmsnmpconf -clearCache and still get
the
same result.  It is only DNS  that really matters - the names in the
seedfile
are irrelevant from the point of view of the exact typography that goes in
the
database.

Cheers,
Jane

BTW - NT doesn't have the clearCache parameter or the
\usr\OV\conf\ovsnmp.conf_db directory

Robin James wrote:

> If you change your names then you should also flush the Netview cache. I
> used to do this by deleting :
>
> /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf_db/cachedb.pag
> /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf_db/cachedb.dir
>
> but I think the command "xnmsnmpconf -clearCache" has the same effect.
>
> --
> Robin
> email: robin.james@thalesatm.com
> tel:   +44 (0) 1633-862020
> fax:   +44 (0) 1633-868313

> Subject: [nv-l] inconsistent hostnames dilemma
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:33:10 -0500
> From: "Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
> To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
>
> Netview 7.1.1 on AIX 4.3.3
>
> Hi,
>
> We have a seed file that contains hostnames some of which are lowercase,
> some uppercase, some fully qualified, some not. We are planning on
writing a
> script that will make it consistent (all fully qualified lower case).
> Currently because the state of our seed file, Netview database has object
> entries with inconsistent hostnames.
>
> Question(s): Plan is in order to get rid of these inconsistent hostnames,
we
> will flush the databases and rediscover (netmon -y) after we have run the
> seed file through the script. Is that the best way to go? are there any
> considerations we should be aware of? Please keep in mind this is a
> production Netview server that does heavy duty nodedown and link down
> paging. Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fawad Qureshi

> *NOTE*
> This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

> *NOTE*
> This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.