Re: [nv-l] Tivoli Best practice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Tivoli Best practice
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:56:31 -0500
Dave, what we are wondering is whether you are talking about
the availability of the Netview box (keeping it available, failover, etc),
or are
you talking about reporting on the availability of the network devices and
servers that you are monitoring with Netview and Tivoli?

If it is the former, I can refer you to the archives for discussions of
hacmp and various failover strategies.

If it is the latter, I can only say that the usual approach is what it has
always been and that is post-processing of Netview status events.
That can be done with scripts run against the trapd.log, or against
the relational database if you have a RIM and set up Netview to
dump the trapd.log to it. I see in V7.1.3 that there  are some new
options on demandpoll or quicktest to send a confirming event.
I think that will help people who are doing this reporting. I have found
it necessary when writing these scripts to set a known status at a known
time, since Netview usually only reports status changes. Those new
option must be to help with this.

Little changes like that give me hope that the coming integration
with Data Warehouse for reporting will take advantage of them. But
everyone's definition of availability reporting is different, so I would
expect that we will be free to roll our own for some time.

Here are two examples of widely divergent requirements for two
public school systems:

Customer A: Switched nework. Are all of the WAN links up, both
primary and backup, 7x24? Then the network is 100% available.
The possible total up hours/week is the number of links X 7 X 24.

Customer B: ATM network. Is every end switch at every school up,
5x8? Then the network is 100% available. The possible total up
hours/week is the number of little switches X 5 X 8.

You do a lot of number crunching every day, add it up for the week,
and then get a single number, like 99.4, and compare that to the
number your management committed to, like 99.5, and take it
to the meeting.  A lot of work to get management info, and not
necessarily reflective of the stability of the network. I prefer to
include the total number of outages along with the total duration of
outages. You get this number from the same source. It helps you
focus on problem areas.

Detroit

                      reamd@Nationwide.

                      com                      To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                               cc:

                      11/04/2002 10:47         Subject:  [nv-l] Tivoli Best
practice
                      AM

Hi all,
         Can anyone comment on Tivoli's best practice (do they have one)
for host availability? Currently we are running 6.0.3 with 4.3.3 but we are
real close to turning up 7.1.3 on 5.1 with 3.7 TEC and are looking for some
recommendations for host availability. Thanks, Dave