RE: [nv-l] Discovery NetView 7.1.2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Discovery NetView 7.1.2
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:16:01 -0500
Yes, 7.1.3 is available. I believe that once the networks you need
are discovered and managed, new nodes will appear more readily.
I think there is something a little odd going on with the mangement
of networks and segments at 7.1.1 but I'm not sure what. I need to
upgrade this system too.

Do make sure that new node discovery was not disabled somehow.
check both the Topology dialog and the buttons in the SNMP
configuration dialog.

Once the network is more or less discovered, you should be able
to put 'rules only' ruleset in place. Maybe one that just uncludes some
address ranges. Save the long lists of nodes somewhere just in case.
Then if you need to delete and rediscover something, pinging should
be enough but if it is not, you can append it to the seedfile and
'netmon -y'. I don't think you are going to need to administer it that
manually.

Detroit

                      "Owens, Blaine C

                      - Eastman"               To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                      <bowens@eastman.c        cc:

                      om>                      Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Discovery
NetView 7.1.2

                      11/13/2002 02:19

                      PM

Thanks, I have taken your advise and now have a fully populated map. What
concerns is will automatic discovery work for changes from now on. We have
fairly large and volitile network making it impossible rely upon manual
entries in a seedfile. I have worked with NetView since 1995 and this is
the
first time I have ever had anything like this happen. Is 7.1.3 available
yet?