[nv-l] NVSNIFFER Capabilities

To: "IBM NetView Discussion" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] NVSNIFFER Capabilities
From: "Scott Hammons" <s.hammons@ais-nms.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:18:24 -0600

Listers,

First, thanks to all that replied to my earlier post.  I’m still a little confused as to what my options are if I decide to use the nvsniffer “feature”.

Can someone explain to me the capabilities of the nvsniffer option?  I read the man page and it describes how you can create smartsets that contain the port information from monitored servers.  Does this mean I can configure NetView to monitor specific TCP ports (ie., 94, 9494, etc…)  If so what type of information does this provide?  Is anyone using this feature?  How does this compare to other sniffer applications?

I’m trying to come up with a plan to monitor the different TCP ports for the applications (see my earlier post).  I would like to avoid introducing third party applications if at all possible; however I realize there are some limitations to what NetView can provide.  Other than the man page, the NetView documentation is vague when it comes to this particular “feature”.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Scott