RE: [nv-l] NVSNIFFER Capabilities

To: "Scott Hammons" <s.hammons@ais-nms.com>, "IBM NetView Discussion" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NVSNIFFER Capabilities
From: "Dejan Mijailovic" <dejan.mijailovic@inquent.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:18:34 -0500
Scott,

NvSniffer is not a sniffer at all. You must read the nvsniffer man page very carefully to understand it and learn how to configure it. It can ONLY test TCP ports. It has two modes.
1) Reads the config file, then tests the devices for the TCP ports, what ever you told him to test, and then he generates the SmartSets based on those TCP ports.
2) Status mode. It only tests the TCP ports for known SmartSets or nodes. If it detects that TCP port that is closed it will generate the trap.

What you need is this:
Decide what Services you want to monitor and make config file.
Run NvSniffer in Config mode and make some SmartSets.
Then, run the NvSniffer in status mode, periodically, using CRONTAB or AT.

I think we are a little bit confused here. I think you asked, originally, for UDP applications? Are you monitoring UDP or TCP?
If you monitor UDP, then NvSniffer can't do that because of the nature of UDP. For that, get something else.

Dejan Mijailovic
InQuent Technologies.