RE: [nv-l] adding events to Netview

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] adding events to Netview
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:32:15 -0500
Robin,

Haven't gotten your email yet but thought I would add some info here since
we are doing the same thing you discuss below.

We have a in-house app that sends us status in SNMP-traps.  We use that
'event' to change the status on the topology map.  The inherent problem with
our design is we are representing our app status in the form of Netview 'IP
Status' (nvUtil).  This is wrong and has many repercussions throughout
Netview including false-positives, false-negatives, etc.  Our system is a
legacy system.  When I got here I recommended de-coupling our app status
from IP status and changing the Set Status Symbol to having an app be called
to change the Non-IP Status Symbol.  It will work, but legacy is legacy and
they did not want to spend the $$'s.

Anyway, just got your email, thought I would send this out before reading
it.

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated