RE: [nv-l] Deleted Networks

To: "Gareth Holl" <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Deleted Networks
From: "Mike Walsh" <Mike.Walsh@us.ing.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:59:29 -0600
Cc: "Francois Le Hir" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Gareth,

Thanks for the info.  It is most helpful.  I am thinking that I prefer the
current way of handling failing interfaces and deleted interfaces because
in this way I am forced to investigate an interface before unmanageing or
deleteing.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike Walsh
****Please Note - New EMAIL Address  mike.walsh@us.ing.com*********
612-342-3118

                      "Gareth Holl"

                      <gholl@us.ibm.com        To:       "Francois Le Hir"
<flehir@ca.ibm.com>
                      >                        cc:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com,
(bcc: Mike Walsh/US/AMERICAS)
                                               Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Deleted
Networks
                      12/09/2002 12:41

                      PM

The information that Oliver provided is exactly right. You may be noticing
different behaviour from an earlier version because this was changed as
version 6.0 (I believe). You are probably only seeing the behaviour for a
certain type of device.

In the case of secondary interface support, you can configure groups of
devices (based on OID) so that netmon will only treat a device as having
secondary addresses if it finds them in the ip.ipAddrTable for that device.
This is the "S" flag in the "oid_to_type" file. Refer to the header section
of the oid_to_type file for a complete explanation of this flag.

So basically if you remove the S flag from the OID of the device type where
you want interfaces to be automatically deleted, this may then allow those
interfaces to be removed during the next Daily Config check (assuming they
aren't HRSP). However if these devices don't report secondary interfaces
correctly via the appropriate snmp variables, then you will end up with
interfaces added and deleted continuously without the "S" flag in the
oid_to_type file for that particular OID

There is a "T" flag in the "oid_to_type" file also. This is for identifying
OID groups as being terminal servers. You may want to play with that also
if your devices are terminal servers and see what affect that has on
automatic deletion of interfaces that have been removed from the device.

Changes to the oid_to_type file require netmon to be recycled.

If all else fails, delete and re-discover the device. I hope this helps in
some way.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

    "Francois Le Hir"
    <flehir@ca.ibm.com>                        To:
                                       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                               cc:
    12/09/2002 12:59 PM                        Subject:        RE: [nv-l]
                                       Deleted Networks

Does it seams to you that it is working the way it should be ?
the daily configuration polling or nmdemandpoll used to do the cleaning of
all the interfaces that don't exist anymore and it is not doing it now. We
end up will lots of "Unmanaged" interfaces in the nodes and some white
subnets on the map that should not be there.
Theses object once unmanaged will never be deleted by Netview. It is not
only useless to have theses objects in Netview but it is also confusing for
the users as it make them believe that the interfaces (and the subnets) are
still there.

nmdemandpoll read the interface table and also look for secondary
interfaces. It should be able to see the change and fix it in the object in
Netview.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services