Re: [nv-l] How do I change community string used by MLM?

Subject: Re: [nv-l] How do I change community string used by MLM?
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:15:34 +0000
You have a couple of options. If your MLM is NOT on a NetView system, he keeps his community names file in /var/adm/smv2/ovsnmp.conf. The format isn't very nice but you could edit that and then bounce midmand.

The better option if you have NetView's ovsnmp.conf up-to-date (/usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf is the viewablew version of this), should be to copy that file to your MLM. You can do this from the right-button menu on the NetView icon on a Tivoli Desktop (if you use that). Alternatively, there is a menu on your NetView GUI under Administer -> Tivoli NetView MLM -> Install/Control MLM from the Map. I've just tried it (on AIX 4.3.3 ML10, NetView 7.1.3) and it doesn't seem to work! but the command behind this menu option does. Try typing "smit mlmv5"; go down Remopte Operations -> Put Config Files on a Remote Node -> Put ovsnmp.conf to a remote node

Cheers,
Jane

PS. Anyone else got these menus working / broken from the NetView GUI?????

Scherting, Mark wrote:

Hello to the list,

I need to change the community string used by MLM to poll for existence of
mib table entries (services) on Win2k boxes.  The Win2k boxes were
discovered by Netview with the default public/private strings.  Now that
we've changed the community strings on the Win2k boxes and in Netview
Options-->SNMP Configuration, MLM on the Netview server is still using
"public" to poll.  How do I get MLM to use the new community strings?

AIX 4.3.3
Netview 6.03

Thank You!

Mark Scherting
State of Montana
Information Technology Services Division