Re: [nv-l] Refreshing changes in Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Refreshing changes in Netview
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:47:56 -0500

I think changes to interface definitions on 7200s usually take effect
without a restart of the device. The hardware guys will know better
than I do.

Netview will find configuration changes when it does its configuration
poll, which is done by default once per day. I prefer to just do the
demandpoll when the change is made so I see it immediately.
If you do a demandpoll on the device, Netview will find any new
interfaces, but it may not delete ones that you have removed. That
was discussed here recently. It depends on whether there is an
S flag for that oid in the oid_to_type file. If the S flag is there, you
will need to manually delete the obsolete interface cards in
the map.

You can check on what information Netview is getting from the device
by pulling the address table (Monitor...Network Configuration...Addresses)
and the interface table (Monitor..MIB Values...Interface Info). That is
realtime data. If it does not show the change you made, then you
did not make the change.

What kind of changes were you expecting to see? What version
and what platform?

Detroit

                      jmfrancoz@soluzio
                      na.com                   To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                               cc:
                      12/11/2002 03:36         Subject:  [nv-l] Refreshing
changes in Netview
                      AM

Hi list:

Current environment ( Solaris 2.6, Netview 6.02)

Firstly I had a router (Cisco 7200) and their interfaces discovered in my
Netview system.

Then,  we had to make some configuration changes in this router.

Finally I launched a manual demandpool  on the device and I continue seeing
the old configuration.

I took into account the "/opt/OV/bin/xnmsnmpconf -clearCache" command.

By the way... I didn´t restart the router after doing this changes, is It
necessary in order to refresh changes in it?

Does anyone know the correct generaL process to rediscover changes in a
router??

Thank you very much:

José María