RE: [nv-l] Router Fault Isolation

To: "'Cossman,Joshua,GLENDALE,GLOBE Center AMS'" <Joshua.Cossman@us.nestle.com>, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Router Fault Isolation
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:53:35 -0500

Joshua,
I have a similar situation.
I do know the community name of my core routers, but choose not to discover them.
The reason (briefly as possible) is as follows
Each core router has over 800 Frame relay interfaces. The routers are configured exactly the same.
These interfaces are divided into 2 groups.
On core router #1 Group A is 400 up/up interfaces, group B is 400 up/down interfaces.
On core router #2 Group A is 400 up/down interfaces, group B is 400 up/up interfaces.
This was done so that if a router or T3 failed the carrier could bring up a standby circuit on the other router.

NetView discovers Router #1 then discovers Router #2 both have the same IP Addresses configured.
NetView "chases its tail" adding and deleting these 800 interfaces.
It locks the GUI. At this point NetView from a GUI perspective is completely dead.

I put negative entries in my seed file to prevent discovery of these routers.
With RFI turned on, NetView turns remote routers White when the Frame Relay circuit fails.
There is no local interface (core routers) to turn red. Therefore, NetView does not turn anything red.
So, I also turn RFI OFF so that the remote routers turn red when there is a FR failure.

I plan to open a PMR for this but it is probably working as designed.
I think my network configuration with the non-HSRP duplicate core routers is the problem.

You will see the same thing. Remote routers will turn White, but NOTHING will turn RED.
If you want to see the remote routers turn RED, you will also need to turn RFI Off.

I would try to fight through the "politics and turf" issues and get the R/O community name of your ROUTERA, even if it is a carrier.

Don
Donald Davis
First Citizens Bank
Systems Engineer Consultant