[nv-l] SNMPv3 will soon be an issue for me

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] SNMPv3 will soon be an issue for me
From: "Cowan, Christopher" <Christopher_Cowan@sra.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:43:38 -0500
I am working on a contract supporting NV and CiscoWorks at a government
installation.   One thing that seems to be quickly becoming a possible issue
is NetView's lack of SNMPv3 support.
With their heightened awareness of security, policies are already in place
to eradicate clear text passwords (or in the case of SNMPv1 and v2
communities strings).

I can forsee a time in the near future where I may be forced to shutdown
NetView because of this issue.    Of course, this would please a subset of
my customer base because they already view NV and CiscoWorks as redundant.

I am curious if IBM has announced any plans to add SNMPv3 support in the
near future.
If this is not even being considered, I am aware that there was a one time a
vehicle (email alias) through which customers could submit product
enhancement requests.   Does this still exist?

Also, are there other people on this list that have similar concerns?   I
know it's an ugly problem from the developers perspective, but ...

--
Chris Cowan
Sr. ESM Consultant