RE: [nv-l] SNMPv3 will soon be an issue for me

To: "Cowan, Christopher" <Christopher_Cowan@sra.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] SNMPv3 will soon be an issue for me
From: "Dejan Mijailovic" <dejan.mijailovic@inquent.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:44:12 -0500
Chris,

Every time you want to talk to IBM about V3 support, you end up talking to a
wall.
Even, V2 is not supported as it should be. I am sure, plenty of people
requested V3 or full V2 support from IBM. I has been a year since V3 became
standard. A lot's of people asked the same question about that and there
were no replies from anyone from IBM. I already said this this before.
Nowadays, first thing customers asks is about v3 support, even if they don't
know the difference between v3 and v1 is.
I might be mistaken, but since Tivoli took over NetView, NetView is slowly
but surely loosing the battle for SNMP management solutions. Imagine 2 years
ago, in order to install NetView, you had to install, Tivoli Framework,
Integration packages, bunch of patches, and then NetView. Unbelievable!
Rather then upgrading and updating the core of the NetView program, their
developers are building some Java GUIs and applications and adding some
scripts while the core of the NetView is 10 years old technology. It is like
repainting the 25 years old Yugo over and over. It can't go faster the 30
miles per hour, but it is nice and shiny.
It looks like someone at IBM doesn't really care for NetView and it's
success.

Dejan