Re: [nv-l] name resolution on Netview server

To: <flehir@ca.ibm.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] name resolution on Netview server
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:07:02 -0600
Cc: <lesguy01@ca.ibm.com>
Hi, We are running Netview 712, Aix, Bind8.. We moved from /etc/hosts to dns on Netview. What we did last year was the following:
1) we created 4 zones in our Internal DNS that Netview will update dynamically. Our primary internal DNS is master of these zones and Netview is allowed to update these only. No one else uses them except for netview.
2) When a new node is added or deleted, I have script that is generated to add/delete (via nsupdate8 command) it updates those db. files on our primary dns.
This is where it gets a little complicated. To add the node name. Netview goes out and gets the system name and then appends the net.local or server.local (which are the zones) depending on which smartset it belongs. If it cant find the name it exits out and sends an email.
3) /etc/hosts is only used for external or hard coded ip's

Netview is also-notified of all other zones (pushed down) but is only allowed to update 4 zones(2 each reverse/forward  ). Of couse, named8 is running Netview. This works for us because we only monitor Network (mainly cisco) devices and servers. We requested that all devices be snmp enable and have a sysName. It also works well because Administration (DNS andNetview) is concentrated in my group.
The only problems I've encountered this past year were incorrect names or duplicate names on network devices. It just adds duplicate entries on DNS. Once implemented administration is minimals but occassionaly review of files keeps it in tune.

That's how we've resolved our name resolution problems.

Catalina
>>> "Francois Le Hir" <flehir@ca.ibm.com> 03/27/03 08:10AM >>>
The Netview server already run named: It is a secondary dns server and
therefore run the same dns as everywhere on the network
What you are suggesting is that it should run a dedicated dns that would be
customized for my needs. The problem I see is that it would be difficult to
keep in sync with all the change that we have in the DNS and would
basically have to maintain the DNS twice.... unless I can generate the dns
files automatically.

Presently our hosts file is generated from an export from the production
dns server (oracle database of a management product exported into a text
file). is there some good software out there able to re-create the dns
files from an hosts file ?

Thanks,
Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir