Re: [nv-l] name resolution on Netview server

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] name resolution on Netview server
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:49:21 -0600

Francois,

Under AIX we used the following commands to create DNS files from from
/etc/hosts type files.   We had two input files.   For the hosts file we
had just one entry per device.   The the addrs file we had every interface
going back to the same hostname for that device.

The hosts list was a file that is maintained by the administrator....a list
of machines that are suppose to be managed.
The addresses list was created automatically from NetView by processing the
output of a ovtopodump.    An ovtopodump will give you every interface of a
device as NetView knows it, which lets you then build DNS records to give
good name resolution for every interface.   As the network changes,
re-running the process updates the database easily.

I forget which AIX package installed the following two commands, but there
is one that will do that.

/usr/samples/tcpip/hosts.awk   <input host file>      will write out a DNS
configuration file which you redirect into your file for named.
/usr/samples/tcpip/addrs.awk   <input address file>   same thing.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
11400 Burnet Road   Austin, TX  78758
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931