Re: [nv-l] Trpas from DFM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Trpas from DFM
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:55:03 -0400
Is there a log of traps sent in Ciscoworks?
Have you checked that your configuration on it is still intact?

NetView doesn't throw away traps, unless "Ignore" is coded in trapd.conf
(Don't Log or Display in xnmtrap) for that trap.  The Windows version
doesn't give you this option.  Every incoming trap is stored in the
database.

So if you aren't seeing them, then trapd isn't getting them.

You can trace trapd activity if you like, but this is usually only useful
if you know when the traps you are looking for will be sent -- if you can
create a conditions on a device which will generate them .

A better alternative I think is to verify that trapd would display or log
the trap if he got one by sending a dummy one using snmptrap.
Go to trapd.conf and get the enterprise id and the specific trap number
for the trapd and then from the command line enter,
        snmptrap  <NetView hostname>   <DFM enterprise id>  <NetView
hostname>  6  <DFM specific id>  0

You should see this logged or displayed, depending on how you configured
it.  The same syntax will work on NT as well.

If you see your dummy trap and you don't see any from the real device,
then the problem is on that end.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Carlos Enriquez" <enriquezc@terra.com.mx>
04/16/2003 06:26 PM