Re: [nv-l] SNMP devices to pingables

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP devices to pingables
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:43:05 -0400
By default, all objects in NetView are polled by ICMP and by SNMP.  ICMP
is used to determine status --  interface and node up/down.  SNMP is used
at least daily for a configuration check.  You  cannot turn SNMP polling
off but you can use xnmsnmpconf to set the polling interval so high (days,
weeks, months, years) that it is seldom done.

I don't know what else to say, since I have difficulty with your
terminology.  NetView does not "model" nodes, it discovers them, by
reading the arp cache of other nodes in its database via SNMP and pinging
them.   NetView is an SNMP manager.  SNMP is an integral part of what it
does and how it works.  It's job is not only to ping but to discover and
to populate its database with information about those nodes it pings.
Every one of them will be SNMP polled at least initially, and then by the
configuration parameters described above. .  Those that don't respond will
be marked  "isSNMPSupported   =   FALSE"  in the database, until the next
config check, and if any that didn't repsond before, respond then, that
flag is changed to TRUE.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

JamesHorwath@glic.com
05/14/2003 08:48 AM