RE: [nv-l] loading mibs through web console and trapd.conf is not getti

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] loading mibs through web console and trapd.conf is not getting up dated
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:02:50 -0400
Frank, in the future, please direct your inquiries to the list.  I am not
permitted to take individual problems off the list.

But you are correct, mib2trap works only on one MIB at a time.  You could
write a script to do your wildcarding but that would be the only way.
Even then I don't think that's what you really want to do, even if you
think so.  The default format for most traps is "LOGONLY" and even then it
logs just the enterprise id, the specific id, and all the varbinds.  You
really will want to examine the mib2trap output, the script file, and
probably change it somewhat.  If not, then you will probably be changing
the traps defs later with xnmtrap.  Your choice.

What's the deal?  That's a lot of MIBs at one time.  Are you getting lots
of "no fmt found" messages in trapd.log? Are you trying to clone some
existing OpenView system?  Then it might just be easier to extract the
trap defs from them and edit trapd.conf manually. You can do that so long
as you observe all the positional requirements  -- copy some existing def
and then change the copy.   When you are done you can just issue, "event
-e FMTCHG"  to get trapd to load the new file.  If it has errors, he'll
tell you the line number in an event.  Make a backup copy of the file
first in case you have problems.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"DePhillips, Frank" <fdephillips@McLeodUSA.com>
05/21/2003 05:52 PM