Re: [nv-l] FW: Netview mib probelm

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] FW: Netview mib probelm
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:36:00 -0400
By "failing" I assume that you mean that you see "Trap found with no known
format" in the Event window or trapd.log.  You fix that by adding entries
to trapd.conf, either manually by edit, or with an addtrap script.

There has to be an enterprise id for every enterprise, no matter what else
you have loaded.  You may think that a cold start from Microsoft
(1.3.6.14.1.311) is the same thing as a cold start from Cisco
(1.3.6.1.4.1.9), but trapd does not.  The search is by enterprise first,
then generic, and then specific, and finally by node if you have a node
list.

Trapd.conf is not updated by loading MIBs.  Loaded MIBs are only used to
translate OIDs into words.   If you have a MIB, you can run mib2trap, and
then run the addtrap output script to update trapd.conf, but otherwise you
can just define the trap manually using the GUI.  Just type "xnmtrap" from
a command window as root.  All the info you need (enterprise OID, generic
and specific trap numbers, and all variables) is shown in the "no format"
message.  xnmtrap will keep you from making syntax mistakes defining the
trap.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"DePhillips, Frank" <fdephillips@McLeodUSA.com>
05/29/2003 11:23 AM