Re: [nv-l] Flooding TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Flooding TEC
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:36:49 -0400

I take it that you did not set up the TEC forwarding from NetView yourself.

What is forwarded to TEC from NetView are events.  In a UNIX environment
those are selected by a NetView ruleset which you specify in
/usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf.  Apparently you are using a very simple ruleset,
perhaps forwardall.rs, which sends every event from NetView to TEC.  Bad
idea.  You can customize that ruleset in hundreds of different ways to send
just exactly what you want to TEC.  In fact, you need not send a any events
from your IVR system at all if you so choose.  Or you can set up a
threshold node for your IVR events to only send the first of many duplicate
in a short time.  But you have to analyze just what is being sent and what
you want to filter out.  Until you do, it will be difficult for anyone to
advise you on what to do or how to set it up, until you can say just
exactly what you want to accomplish.

The trick to all this is to use the ruleset editor,nvrsEdit, to create a
new ruleset which only forwards what you  want.

I would also take a look at the 7.1.3 Release Notes about running the
itsupgrade script and changing your NetView / TEC environment to use the
new TEC_ITS_BASE classes.  Then you would only forward NetView events
needed for automatic correlation.  You could. of course, expand on that too
if you wish.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      "Delaire,

                      Patrick"                 To:
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      <delairep@aetna.c        cc:

                      om>                      Subject:  [nv-l] Flooding TEC

                      06/17/03 04:38 PM

We are running AIX 4.3 with Netview 7.1.3. Our new IVR (voice response
system) is sending SNMP data to our Netview platform

which is then forwarded to TEC. The problem we are experiencing a times is
our IVR application/s including speechworks and conversant

servers machine gun both Netview and TEC when we experience problems. This
results in TEC buffering messages and eventually

stop  functioning. The voice response people cannot do any more filtering
from the source. Does any one on this list have any suggestion

on how we could stop 'machine gun' type alert processing either on the
Netview side or TEC side.

Side note: We have filtering on TEC but only after the alerts has been
processed through TEC. The buffering issue occurs before the alerts

are processed, which at times bring down TEC.

 P.S.  We have disabled MLM.

Automation & Systems Monitoring
Enterprise System Management
Aetna Information services
E_mail:  DelaireP@Aetna.com
phone: 860-636-8126
Fax:   860-636-6807

 This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you

 think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by

 reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.  Thank you.  Aetna