Re: [nv-l] Monitoring CPU using with NetView

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Monitoring CPU using with NetView
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:45:47 +0100
Hi James,

Basic CPU utilisation on AIX boxes you can get from the trapgend subagent that is shipped with NetView but that you can install on any AIX system - but it is AIX only.

Another option would be to use the net-snmp agent ( www.net-snmp.net) who have an Open Source SNMP agent with binaries for HPUX, Solaris and Linux. This agent supports the Host Resources MIB, which includes CPU utilisation amongst many other things.

Once you have an agent that supports CPU utilisation as a MIB, you can create NetView menus to monitor it (indeed the menus and Tool Palette already have the trapgend CPU utilisation). You can also use NetView's Data Collection & Thresholding to store and threshold these variables.

Cheers,
Jane

JamesHorwath@glic.com wrote:

I have about 200 Unix servers which I monitor via NetView, about 80% AIX, 20% Solaris. I am interested in measuring CPU usage for these servers with NetView. I have searched the archives, documentation and O'Rielly SNMP book. The closest I found was in the O'Rielly book. It was an example of graphing vmstat data with xnmgraph. Although this solution is palatable, I was hoping to watch for thresholds and act when a threshold is violated by using the power of NetView. Why reinvent the wheel. I did not add any extra MIBS or agent software such as Empire. Is this possible and is there a resource I could reference for a bit of help .

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim Horwath
Guardian