RE: [nv-l] DR For NetView ?

To: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] DR For NetView ?
From: "Denis Peuziat" <PEUZIATD@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:42:35 +0200
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Alan,

I have some sort of automatic backup on my 2 Netview servers, which works
with the mgragentd daemon. First , you need to have your netviews
monitoring each other and all of your equipments sending traps to both box
. Then, the logic is based on the fact that when mgragentd fails on one
box, the other issues a "Netview Down" trap for this box. the ruleset on
the backup NV will run a script when it receives this trap, and activate
its forward . the reverse action is done on the reception of the "Netview
UP" trap.
I had to change a few things in some lrf files to modify some dependencies
but it works fine. this, combined to the build-in backup manager
functionnality for the active monitoring permits an automatic backup of
your netviews.

Obviously you also need to have a system that ensure the replication of the
DBs.

Don't know if this helps but if you need more explanations, don't hesitate

Denis PEUZIAT
IBM Netview Administrator

                      "Alan E. Hennis"

                      <Hennis_Alan_E@ca        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      t.com>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: [nv-l] DR For
NetView ?
                      01/07/2003 20:34

Scott

You mentioned using MLM. I am using NetView 7.3 on RedHat 7.2. There are no
MLMs for the RedHat version.

Is anyone doing this sort of thing with NetView and not using MLMs. I have
2 NetView boxes on primary and one will be a secondary. I just need to
figure out how to get the secondary box to work. I will be using x-windows
to access the boxes.

Any IBMers. Is this sort of config covered in the NetView Admin training
class?

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e@cat.com

                      "Stringfellow, William"

                      <William.Stringfellow@bankofa

                      merica.com>

                      07/01/2003 12:36 PM           To: Scot
<scotrn@cox.net>

nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                                    cc:

                                                      Subject:      RE:
[nv-l] DR For NetView ?

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 07/31/2003
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Hi Scott,
             We have been running this for several years.  We just have 2
NetViews, 1 east coast and 1 west coast, with one being the primary and the
other being a backup.  They each have an MLM in front of them and all of
the network devices are pointed at both MLMs for trap targets.  The network
devices also have both Netviews on their access lists.
             Whenever we have a problem with the primary, or there is
maintenance to be done, the operators are all told to shift their
monitoring to the backup server.  Used to be hectic when we were still on X
sessions.  With the web-client it is hardly noticable.
             The database is copied from the primary to the backup once a
day, so the most data you would lose would be 24 hours.  Just need to do a
reset_ci after restoring the database onto the backup so that it knows it's
real id.
             You mentioned Geo load balancing....this does not do that,
both NetViews monitor the entire network, so it is purely disaster
recovery.

Bill Stringfellow
Consultant - EDS
Network Management Support