Re: [nv-l] addtrap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] addtrap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:02:46 -0400

You are missing a prior MIB.

The "leftover node" warnings can be ignored so long as they don't pertain to the trap you are trying to define. What they mean is that the mib2trap parser, the same one used by xnmloadmib2, is unable to determine where in the MIB tree to locate those nodes.

Basically, then, the MIB you have does not identify the enterprise id far enough back up the tree for mib2trap to determine what it should be.  He reads only the MIB file you specified, and not the MIB databases, so he needs to have entries which start with the enterprises level (1.3.6.1.4.1)  of the MIB tree.  In this case  he's looking for an entry which starts with
label         OBJECT IDENTIFIER          ::=         {enterprises  nn}
        where "nn" is the vendor's IANA -assigned number, and then other entries until finally he gets to

printerV2AlertPrefix OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { <some_label>   xx }      which is the enterprise shown in the addtrap output (-n).

Usually you can rectify the situation by finding the prior MIB which defines things back to the enterprise level, and concatenating the one you already have to it, so that you have one big file containing both MIBs.  Check the IMPORTS section of the target MIB and see if you can identify it. Then you run mib2trap on the concatenated file.  Or you can edit the resulting output script and just add the proper enterprise id if you know it (-i   1.3.6.1.4.1.etc).

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Bhayeti <bhayeti@yahoo.com>

07/08/2003 11:31 AM