[nv-l] Netview not discovering beyond serial links.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Netview not discovering beyond serial links.
From: Bob McCormick <bobm@adt.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:04:31 -0600

We're having a problem with autodiscovery on Netview (7.1.3). The range for autodiscovery for the netmon daemon is configured as "Backbone". The daemon is discovering our LAN just fine, but doesn't discover anything at the other end of any of our point to point serial interfaces.

If I click on the serial interface in the Netview GUI and select "Display Object Information", the SNMP ifType is "Point to Point Serial(22)".

I not certain, but I think the problem might be related to the problem in the IBM document below. But the document doesn't really say what they changed to fix the problem, nor how to get a copy of the fix.

Have anyone on this list run into this problem before? Any ideas how to fix it?

IY42394: NETMON LINUX DOES NOT DISCOVER VIA CDPCACHE

APAR status

OPEN

Error description

With Netview for Linux.(all versions) customer was unable to
discover nodes in remote networks without prompts from seedfile
or ping. AIX Netview can discover the same nodes (router).
An efix was produced ontop of 7.1.3+pack1+IY39859+IY40257 level
that will let the numbered routers (serial interfaces only)
be discovered through CdpCache. NB ifType in if_to_sym = SERIAL
.
A fix was produced, and customer confirmed previously undiscover
nodes now are discovered, and has reported no other ill effects.

Local fix

workaround is always to add to seedfile, but customer required
automatic discovery method.

Problem summary

Problem conclusion

Temporary fix