Re: [nv-l]Connecting to gui via X-Windows

To: "Colin Mulkerrins" <Colin.Mulkerrins@anpost.ie>
Subject: Re: [nv-l]Connecting to gui via X-Windows
From: John Bruer <ad572@yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 11:55:31 -0500
Cc: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
> well (not unusual :-)) I do not leave the sessions open for extended
> periods of time - the longest would be a couple of hours when I am
> working on the NetView map.  Any other work I do on the server is
> through a seperate terminal emulator.  I use rexec(TCP/IP) for
> connections - I just use the wizard to make the connection.  The
> next time I get the error I will try a connection via telnet.
> Thanks for the link to  vnc - I will have a look

Rexec I avoid since it's fairly insecure.  It is convenient though.

I'm not sure why NetView is making this all behave differently. It's
odd.

You may find happiness using a telnet client and changing DISPLAY to
point to your thinkpad manually, or better still, use an SSH
connection with X11 forwarding which is both secure and automatically
sets DISPLAY for you.  Or, VNC as another good option which brings
functionality unavailable to traditional X servers.

Best Regards,
jb