RE: [nv-l] Managing devices via their web interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Managing devices via their web interface
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:52:32 -0400

Folks,
I don't believe that it was Bernard's mail server that was at fault here.
True, he inadvertently caused the problem by adding attachments to his note to the list, but it was not his mail server that kept returning them.
Rather some other person subscribed to the list had a server which returned the original note, complete with its attachments, back to the list, after having added other attachments of its own indicating that it did not like getting the original ones.     Since this was posted to the list, the list then sent that out to all subscribers, including the server which returned the fist note.  It promptly returned the second and the cycle continued.  I don't know what ultimately stopped it.  Perhaps that server is now blocking mail for that user; I don't know.  But  I do know that I looked at the extended addressing in some of the notes I got and I think I know whose mail server it was , and it was not Bernard's.  I won't point fingers on the list but I will say that we should all avoid attaching anything for just this reason.  If you want to share files, you should do it directly and not thru the list.!  It's just not set up for this, and apparently neither are some of the other subscribers.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Zlatko Krastev" <acit@attglobal.net>

08/14/2003 03:58 PM