RE: [nv-l] why dont i see traps on netview?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] why dont i see traps on netview?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:12:54 -0400

Hello Girish -

Please do not send me mail directly.  I am permitted by my management to reply on the list but I am forbidden to take user problems directly, because of my commitments to the IBM Support process.  I

As for your problem, my guess is one of two things.  Either trapd is still using the old definition or the definition is incorrect
First, I would issue "event -e FMTCHG" form the command line to cause trapd to re-read his conf file.  Normally this happens when you use the Trap Settings but you cannot always be certain unless you see the "trap format changed" event in the Event Browser.

Second, the "Trap found with no known format in trapd.conf[4]. message contains everything you need to solve the problem of an incorrect definition.  Right click on that event and select Event Details, then examine the incoming enterprise id and the generic and specific ids.  One or more of those is incorrect in your trapd.conf.    I suspect that it is most likely the enterprise id.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Girish Mantry <gmantry@arcsight.com>

09/03/2003 06:03 PM