[nv-l] Enhancement request for NetView MLM

Subject: [nv-l] Enhancement request for NetView MLM
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:57:55 +0100
Folks,
Thanks to the various IBMers who have explained the process for raising IBM Enhancement Requests (it seems to be an internal application caleed FITS). Part of the problem seems to be that there is no transparency as what is currently being requested so I thought I would "publish" my enhancement request here for comment / additions / corrections / votes. I appreciate this isn't a process that IBM necessarily recognises but I am interested in whether other folks DO have similar requirement or whether I am in my own little world......

I would appreciate any comments / amendments / votes of interest that people have.
Cheers,
Jane

Enhancement request for NetView MLM
============================

Scenario
---------
I want MLM as a full solution for managing limited numbers of systems behind firewalls - a DMZ is an obvious example.

Problems with current Offerings
* MLM code doesn't exist for Linux which I see being deployed more and more in DMZs. * I cannot customise an MLM from a NetView on Windows or Linux - no smconfig - no Agent Policy Manager (APM). * MLM and NetView only support SNMP V1 protocol (NV on Unix supports V2 traps but we need lots more than that) * MLM discovery only works if NetView's netmon daemon can get at leat one ping to an MLM-discovered node so you either have to hand-add all DMZ nodes, use loadhosts, negotiate a "ping-hole" period with your firewall administrator....... * The IBM preferrd solution to managing in the DMZ seems to be to deploy a small NetView in the DMZ and access it via the web console. This is very unattractive for several reasons: - Most folk want one NetView database (map) that shows everything, not lots of separate databases - The web console is still poor in performance and functionality - you cannot manage a NetView with it - Extra (probably dedicated) hardware required. This often means PC architecture which in turn means Linux or Windows NetViews, which in turn means no subsequent management of MLMs from these sub-NetViews

Enhancement Request(s)
* MLM, implemented on AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows.
* Changes to NetView on Linux and Windows to incorporate smconfig and APM to manage MLMs * Changes to the NetView netmon daemon to accept entries in an MLM discovery table without requiring a ping from NetView * SNMP V3 capability on MLM and NetView to satisfy firewall administrators' (fairly reasonable) concerns about SNMP V1 security (SNMP V2 is old-hat, will never be a full standard. V3 has now been a full standard for 18 months)

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.