Re: [nv-l] NetView NT to Tec integration.

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView NT to Tec integration.
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:04:45 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:01:44 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

That depends.
UNIX has a built-in TEC adapter in the nvserverd daemon.  He'll forward events to TEC when configured to do so.  Instead of using Filter statements in the conf file to decide what to send, you use a ruleset run by nvcorrd.  And instead of configuring events in the OID and CDS files, you configure them in trapd.conf.  These are standard NetView for UNIX facilities which you may already be using for other purposes.

NetView for UNIX is easier to configure than NetView for Windows with regard to TEC forwarding if you aren't picky about how the events appear in the TEC console and are happy with the defaults.  If not, the customization is a wash in terms of effort I think.  I prefer UNIX but that's me.

But you should ask other users what they think.  I'm  a bug fixer not a network admin.  What I do is send events only to test the function.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"John M Gatrell" <John.Gatrell@uk.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/06/2003 06:22 AM