Re: [nv-l] Semi-Basic issues

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Semi-Basic issues
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 19:01:16 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:18:08 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi,
Please see my inserts. Judging from your questions, you might find going on the NetView for Unix for Administrators class helpful, if it is possible to get to one. Check the IBM website for content and dates.
Cheers,
Jane

Pal, Laszlo wrote:

Hi,

I joined again to this list because I still have to use NV :)

Here is my current issues:

First issue:
On my main map I turned off automatic layout and I made customized view of
the network. I renamed the symbols on this map, and I've changed ip numbers
to name+ipnumbers. It took two or three hours. After a few days NV changed
back my symbol names to ip addresses and made me crazy. The stuff did this
twice :) Why? How can I avoid this?

Turning off automatic layout only gives you control literally of the layout - the positioning on the screen. As Raymond said, a configuration poll (which happens every 24 hours by default) can set label names back to whatever your DNS or /etc/hosts indicates. As Raymond says, by far the best way to fix your node labels, is to fix your DNS - anything else tends to lead to pain.... It is rather unusual to change box names to name+ip - if the boxes are routers, which interface should you choose? You can always see the IP address(es) simply by double clicking on a node and viewing the interface level (where symbols by default have IP addresses). Or use the Monitor-> Network configuration menu.

Second issue:
I created some object manually by edit/add/object. I entered IP addresses
and community strings (in snmp config), but these objects remains in blue,
so I cannot manage. These objects behind a firewall, but snmp traffic is
allowed between the hosts and the NMS. How can I manage objects behind
firewall? How can I manage object added manually?
This one is rather strange - what architecture is your NetView on? Provided you filled in all the boxes correctly when you hand-added the nodes, I would expect them to turn red inside 5 minutes when NetView tries to ping them and the ping, I assume, gets blocked by your firewall?? The blue, unknown status, suggests they are not properly in the NetView object database. If you haven't already tried it, I would try to cleanup any database inconsistencies by running:
ovstop netmon
ovtopofix -a
ovmapcount -a
ovtstart netmon

The way I manage objects behind a firewall is to add nodes as you have, or to use the loadhosts command that Raymond recommended. Then put an entry in the netmon seedfile for the nodes behind the firewall, to say "Poll using SNMP" - this is the $ (dollar) syntax. Typically it is nodes on one or two networks so you can use a wildcard. For example, if your DMZ network is 1.2.3, with a class C netmask, put the following in the seedfile:
$1.2.3.*
Thus, when the nodes have been hand-added, SNMP is used to determine whether the box is up on the (by default) 5 minute polls. (Do check that your netmon daemon is using the correct seedfile).

Third issue:
Right now I'm working hours on my SLA reports by collecting information from
our management journal. I'm sure netview can do this for me. How can I
create a report which includes the following:
Date-start date-end hostname/object name
Is there any tool for Netview which helps to create SLA reports for a
network? I'm sure there is.

You can use NetView's Data Collection and Thresholding facility to collect SNMP data at regular intervals. Data goes into the /usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect database (in an encoded format). You have 3 options from there: 1) You can use NetView's graphing button to show this data (NOT very sophisticated) 2) You can export this data to an ASCII file using the snmpColDump command which can print start-time, end-time, value, hostname, IP address 3) If your NetView is on Unix and was installed on top of Tivoli Framework, you can export your snmpCollect database to an SQL database (DB2, Sybase, Oracle). If your NetView is on Windows, your SNMP data is already either in an Access database or in MS SQL if you took that install option.

Cheers,
Jane

Thank you

Pál, László