Re: [nv-l] trapd.log question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd.log question
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:40:44 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:48:13 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
I did some experimenting with name resolution on Windows systems at one time. I believe we decided that a Windows system used (in this order):
1) \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file
2) netbios broadcasts
3) DNS
4) \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts file

We used the "Disable NetBios over TCP/IP" box from the interface config application to ensure that DNS was used (the hosts file simply had an entry for itself). Otherwise, all sorts of names kept popping up, courtesy of Netbios.

Cheers,
Jane

Brian Kraftchick wrote:

Below is what I'm receiving in the trapd.log when I (purposefully for testing) stop and restart the SNMP service on my WIN2K laptop so that it generates a cold start trap. Does anybody know what populates the "Node" field....here it has TIVOLILAB....but to my knowledge I haven't specified that anywhere within that laptop. SECONDLY..and more importantly what does the question mark mean? I haven't yet gained a knowledge of how to interpret the ?, N, etc. What is what in this column? Thanks as always ! ** *Brian Kraftchick*
Network Administrator
*Old Dominion Freight Line*
Ph: (336) 822-5938
Fax: (336) 822-5149