Re: [nv-l] Windows Clusters

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Windows Clusters
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:17:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:28:01 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Carlos,
No. Well, you can, but you would have to disable SNMP on those devices and I'm
thinking that is not a desirable action.

What you can do, however, is poll the devices via SNMP instead of via ICMP. This is accomplished by placing a '$' in front of the device in the seedfile. You will want to do this for each machine in the cluster. As long as they all use different IP addresses, this will work fine. On some clusters, though, they will all use the same
IP address. In that case, you could define that shared interface as an HSRP
interface by placing a '^' in front of the ip address in the seedfile.

Hope that helps.

Paul

CMazon@commercebankfl.com wrote:

Win2k/Netview 7.1.3. FP1 / SQL2000,

Hi list,

Maybe someone can shed some light for me. We have 3 Microsoft clusters with several nic cards. One nic in each server is configured with an ip that are not pingable (192.168.X.X) for the cluster heartbeat. Is there a way to prevent Netview from discovering these interfaces? I have them in the exclude list of the seed file and I tried to unmanage them, but somehow Netview continues to manage these interfaces on its own.

Has anyone come accross this problem before?

Also, is there any consultant on this list located in Miami, FL please email me directly. (Sorry for posting this here.)

Carlos