RE: [nv-l] selection names

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] selection names
From: "Bernard Disselborg" <BDisselborg@triple-p.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:42:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:54:35 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
(2)
I use the /etc/networks file in almost every installation. It works
fine.

Bernard

>>> jshanks@us.ibm.com 30-Oct-03 16:15:10 >>>
(1) If you manually change the labels of an object on the map, then you

must also set the flag to prevent ipmap from overriding that
customization.
>From the GUI, Edit --> Modify / Describe --> Map -> Configurable
Applications (select IP Map) -> Configure for This Map ->(last option)

Should IP Map Override user symbol customization? Click the False
button.
It is True by default.

This will also mean that any new objects discovered will be placed in a

New Object Holding area on the map and you will have to manually move
them.  I think all the folks who are reading this thread for
information
need to review the sections in the NetView Admin Guide which talks
about
map customization.  It is a huge subject and requires careful thought.

(2) I have an old solutions document which says that you  can display
network names by updating a file called /etc/networks.  Never tried it

myself.  Anyone else?

And I am having hard time why you want to display names for interfaces
if
you don't define them in DNS and you don't define them /etc/hosts.
That
doesn't make your names very authoritative, does it?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Pal, Laszlo" <laszlo.pal@eds.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
10/30/2003 09:28 AM
Please respond to nv-l

        To:     nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
        cc:

THis is a very big leak in NV. The only ting I can do for this is
update
the DNS with the correct names. In this case equipment objects
(routers,
switches, servers) displayed as names, but interfaces and networks
still
displayed as IP addresses. Do not try to rename them manually, NV will

change it back next morning (I did this twice :))

It is a bit hard to love netview. Anyone knows a good freeware
replacement
of this product?