Re: [nv-l] nvsniffer / servmon

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nvsniffer / servmon
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:00:36 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:10:24 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi  Scott,
We were having this debate only last week. I don't know the answers but I've inserted my guesses below. Anyone else know?

BTW - do you get the service objects for your servmon services showing at the interface level of a node? I can't make this work on my AIX 5.1 system. From reading the docs, I thought this was now supposed to work on Unix platforms as well as Win.

Cheers,
Jane

Barr, Scott wrote:

NetView v7.1.4 / Solaris 2.8
Greetings. There is a new enhancement / replacement for nvsniffer that I am having trouble getting to work. The concept is to detect whether a particular TCP port is accepting connections and report an event if it is not. It looks to me like servmon will now do this. nvsniffer as I recall will discover but not monitor port level applications. The problem is this: The servmon configuration requires that you specify what port the application runs on and what smartset contains the nodes that are considered "targets" for the servmon application.
I have a smartset created that has 3 Unix servers.
Each of the Unix servers has multiple instances of the software running on multiple different ports.

You can put multiple ports in the servmon port field if you wanted a collection of everything running app XYZ

Each of the Unix servers is multi-homed (4 physical and 12 virtual addresses).

My guess here is that it uses the Selection Name of the devices and tests against whatever the DNS gives him as it's IP address - be interesting to know the real answer to this one...

Each instance of the software is tied to a virtual address.

What does your DNS do with these virtual addresses????

Each instance of the software uses one or more ports.

I doubt that servmon can tell you how many instances of the software are running - just whether there IS an instance running. Only way I can think of tackling this is to use discovery and status custom plugin modules to run scripts that do what you want. The issue is how you "talk" to each system as the scripts actually run on the NetView server. I've wondered about using rsh/ssh/rexec to do this but not actually tried yet....

In my configuraiton, I specify I am interested on port 26001 (for instance). Since the boxes are multi-homed, I don't think servmon can tell which interface/IP address to probe for port 26001 activitiy The creation of the smarset means that the nodes listed are the right boxes, but not the right interfaces for activity on those ports. SO my question is - is servmon smart enough to figure out the traffic is NOT on the interface that is resolved in DNS and thus located in my smartset? Since servmon actually adds a field in ovwdb (field name drivin by servmon.conf) I cannot specify an interface in the servmon config or the smartset - only a node name since it doesn't appear to add a field to an interface object, only to a node object.
/Scott Barr/

/Distributed Network Engineer/

/CSG Systems Inc./

/scott_barr@csgsystems.com/