[nv-l] nvsniffer / servmon

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] nvsniffer / servmon
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:55:40 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:04:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
NetView v7.1.4 / Solaris 2.8

Greetings. There is a new enhancement /  replacement for nvsniffer that I am having trouble getting to work. The concept is to detect whether a particular TCP port is accepting connections and report an event if it is not. It looks to me like servmon will now do this. nvsniffer as I recall will discover but not monitor port level applications.

The problem is this:

The servmon configuration requires that you specify what port the application runs on and what smartset contains the nodes that are considered "targets" for the servmon application.
I have a smartset created that has 3 Unix servers.
Each of the Unix servers has multiple instances of the software running on multiple different ports.
Each of the Unix servers is multi-homed (4 physical and 12 virtual addresses).
Each instance of the software is tied to a virtual address.
Each instance of the software uses one or more ports.
In my configuraiton, I specify I am interested on port 26001 (for instance).

Since the boxes are multi-homed, I don't think servmon can tell which interface/IP address to probe for port 26001 activitiy
The creation of the smarset means that the nodes listed are the right boxes, but not the right interfaces for activity on those ports.

SO my question is - is servmon smart enough to figure out the traffic is NOT on the interface that is resolved in DNS and thus located in my smartset? Since servmon actually adds a field in ovwdb (field name drivin by servmon.conf) I cannot specify an interface in the servmon config or the smartset - only a node name since it doesn't appear to add a field to an interface object, only to a node object.

Scott Barr

Distributed Network Engineer

CSG Systems Inc.

scott_barr@csgsystems.com