Re: [nv-l] RedHat drops support for various LINUX products.

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] RedHat drops support for various LINUX products.
From: reamd@Nationwide.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:16:14 -0500
Cc: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>, nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:25:46 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
F.Y.I..

 Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux Technology
Company SUSE LINUX

       Novell expands its open source commitment and will become the first to
offer comprehensive
       Linux solutions for the enterprise from the desktop to the server

       Novell will be the only $1 billion software company with a Linux
distribution and the
       worldwide technical staff to support it

       Novell/SUSE LINUX to become the world's largest supplier of
desktop-to-server Linux
       solutions and technical support

       Customers to gain worldwide technical support for enterprise Linux
solutions from a company
       with more than 20 years of operating system experience

       IBM and Novell to negotiate extensions to commercial agreement with
Novell/SUSE LINUX to
       support the IBM eServer line

 PROVO, Utah ? Nov. 04, 2003 ? Novell today announced it has entered into an
agreement to acquire
 SUSE LINUX, one of the world's leading enterprise Linux companies, expanding
Novell's ability to
 provide enterprise-class services and support on the Linux platform. With the
open source
 expertise of SUSE LINUX and Novell's world-class networking and identity
solutions and support,
 training and consulting services, Novell will be able to deliver Linux and all
its components ?
 from the server to the desktop ? and give organizations a secure, reliable and
mature Linux
 foundation. Novell will pay $210 million in cash to complete the acquisition.
The transaction is
 subject to regulatory approval and the winding up of shareholder agreements.
Novell expects the
 transaction to close by the end of its first fiscal quarter (January 2004).

                          Paul Stroud

                          <pstroud@bellsouth.net>  T

                                                   To:   nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com;
"Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
                          Sent by:                 cc:

                          owner-nv-l-digest@lists

                          .us.ibm.com              bcc:

                     Re: [nv-l] RedHat drops support
                                                   for various LINUX products.

                          11/04/2003 11:13 AM

                          Please respond to nv-l

Redhat will still be supported, but only on the Advanced Entperprise Server
Edition.  However, if you ask me, that should have been the case all along,
running a enterprise level NMS on a desktop operating system is not going
to the best of breed.

Paul

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 09:49, Alan E. Hennis wrote:
> Some time ago the LINUX support team at the company I work for informed
me
> of RedHat's intention to drop support for older versions of LINUX. I
opened
> a case with IBM and they told me that IBM knew nothing of it. RedHat
> announced this today. Has anyone on the list received any information
from
> IBM as to what versions of LINUX will be supported by NetView.
>

> http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/11/03/1657205.shtml
>
> In an email to Red Hat Network customers, the company has announced today
> that it "...will discontinue maintenance and errata support for Red Hat
> Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December 31, 2003," that "Red Hat will
> discontinue maintenance and errata support for Red Hat Linux 9 as of
April