Re: [nv-l] How to make appear in IP map something in the object datbase?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to make appear in IP map something in the object datbase?
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:51:13 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:00:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Inaki,

What is your discovery setting set to?

Usually a subnet symbol that is brown means that NetView has been told to
discover the backbone only...and sees these subnets off the backbone
routers but will not discover the nodes into them until you actually manage
the subnet.   This lets you do a 'controlled' discovery of the network.

In the mean time, NetView has read the arp cache of the backbone router and
'knows' about the hosts and puts 'hints' into the NetView database.
Usually this may be just a mac address or ip address of the device found in
the ARP cache.   But if that ip address falls into a subnet that is brown
(unmanaged) then NetView will not ping or walk the MIB to bring the rest of
the information into the NetView database.

Of course this is my understanding of how things has worked in the past,
there are usually minor changes/improvements from release to release.
When I teach a NetView class I like to have the students discover the
network with different settings and then work with them to understand the
differences in the nodes showing up on the maps.   Once they understand
those pictures, then the discovery settings of the product makes a lot of
sense to everyone.

Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

|         |           igastelu@unm.edu |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           11/19/2003 02:24 |
|         |           nv-l             |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] How to make appear in IP map something in the
object datbase?                                     |

Thanks both Oliver James,  Yes I am running on Windows and I have seen
that the documentation for it is very limited when compared to the
manuals for Unix, so I am taking some time to read the Unix manuals.

I followed James advice(the same as yours Oliver), but the default map
was still the same, the nodes did not appeared.

With a trial and error process in the GUI, I selected one of the
subnets (symbol)where the hosts should appear,  then went to    Object -
> Discover and then the subnet symbol changed from brown to green and
all the hosts appeared.

What is the sequence of things that this triggered, I do not know, but
it did what I was trying to do...  Of course I would like to make the
maps refresh automatically so this should not be the way of doing it.

Thanks guys for your help.

I will take a look at new discovered host in the ObjDB and see if I can
locate them in the map.

Inaki