[nv-l] netmon and SNMP communities

To: "Nv-L (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] netmon and SNMP communities
From: "Federico Vidal" <fvidal@tecsystem.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:16:54 -0300
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:12:25 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hello List:

I have a customer with Netview 7.1.3 on Linux who tries to discover his network
with it. The thing is that, having a seed file that only discovers SNMP devices
( !@oid 0 ), he can't discover any device beside the ones using the default
community. Any device that has another SNMP community different than the
default, can't be discovered.

I will give full details: Looking into the matter, i found that the SNMP
configuration (xnmsnmpconf) is correct because I can manually poll these
devices using snmpwalk without specifying community. I found that netmon is the
one who is using wrong communities to poll because the cisco agents in the
network keep telling that netview causes authentication failure, thus netview
doesnt discover any device due to the seed file.

This is very strange to me, because i thought that the netview engine used the
same snmp configuration that CLI commands.

Another detail is that before this problem occurred, my customer changed the
netview's IP address, so I ran reset_ci to solve the apparent problem but
nothing happenned....

What could be happening???? My last resort is to deinstall but I would like to
solve this issue as a Netview supporter.

Thanks in advance.

Federico Vidal
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
Tecsystem S.R.L.