RE: [nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:55:03 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:04:42 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Scott --

Speaking as a long-time Level 3 engineer, I have to say that you are
beating up the wrong group.  Level 3 fixes bugs.  It does not design new
function.  To add icons and all the rest that you want servmon to do
requires new design, and cross-component architecture reviews, inspections,
code walk-thrus and a complete verification cycle.  Level 3 does not have
the resources for that.  We aren't talking about fixing a null pointer, or
adding a new error message to code that has already passed muster once.
What the engineer who declined the APAR did was correct, according to our
mission.  He passed the buck back to development, where it belonged.   Lack
of function, especially new function, is theirs to fix.   You would not
expect your washing machine mechanic to design and fabricate new parts on
his own, no matter how bright he was.

Level 3 was given the code the same way you were, as a done deal, alleged
to be functionally complete and thrown over the fence.  We did not learn
about  what it wouldn't do -- draw icons -- until the week it shipped.

Does the company have egg on its face over this?  Yes, it does.  But the
blame is a lot higher up than Level 3.

As for you not being offered a chance to be part of the beta, I'm sorry for
the misinformation and I will take that up with my source.

Regards,

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      "Barr, Scott"

                      <Scott_Barr@csgsy        To:
<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                      stems.com>               cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: [nv-l] servmon and
itmquery in NV 7.1.4
                      owner-nv-l@lists.

                      us.ibm.com

                      12/08/03 02:49 PM

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

James I was never asked to join the beta. I am pathologically unable to
decline participaiting in betas. I cannot prevent signing non-disclosure
agreements, my hand magically signs them without my willing consent. I've
sought counseling. Believe me, I would have participated.

Now, I did participate in the switch analyzer beta and had to curtail my
efforts there because of poor timing of code release in conjunction with
large work projects arriving suddenly. If the person still running the beta
tests is Mark W, I've known him for at least 10 years and participated in
several NetView ESP's and betas (mainframe and otherwise), there should be
no question I would be available for beta testing.

I guess in response to your other question, it boils down to this. I see
NetView evolving and de-evolving all at the same time. It suffers from
schizophrenia driven by "marketing". Now don't get me wrong, the method
being used to survey people and get enhancement requests into the
developers hands is valid and acceptable. But I often wonder about the
desire to please everyone all the time. This feature was not ready. It has
all the earmarks. Documented features that aren't there, confusion in
support over what the feature is supposed to do, and the inability of level
3 to provide a spec that I can code the status application against - the
programmers can't tell me how to write code to interface with it. C'mon.

And frustration, anger, disappointment are all the result of a simple
response from level 3-- they said "no" to something that black letters on
white paper said should be there. At some point in time, software companies
become accountable. If it were a car, or a washing machine, or a child's
toy, it would NOT be acceptable to say the product does something it does
not. But in the software industry liberties are taken through oversight,
lack of planning and poor judgment. My anger is not so much as an
individual programmer as it is at an organization that from time to time
demonstrates that if they had 4 arms, the would not be able to find a left
one.